C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:45:37 -0600
Mag, et al,

Reading Ebert's reviews, I'm no longer surprised by his enthusiastic
"thumbs up" to "Million Dollar Baby" and "The Sea Inside."  Phrases like
"... Heather Rose, who also stars in it-even though she has cerebral
palsy, and communicates through a computer and a speaking machine" and
"...young woman trapped in a wheelchair by cerebral palsy...."  and "we
identify more with her than with the 'normals' (emphasis added)in the
story."  Every one of these phrases, and the over all tone of the
reviews you included in your post tell us that Ebert is just glad that
he (or any of his family or friends) isn't "a cerebral palsy victim."

One wonders if Ebert wasn't able to, as Evan Williams suggested,
"...identify with her."  "It is a difficult feat to bring off; and
because we are forced to get close to Julia - in a sense to become her -
many will find this good and brave film more than they can bear." Many
in the US film industry seem to have said that disability, in whatever
form, is "more than they can bear."   Ebert's second review of the film
states: "It is the kind of film where the human will and

spirit overwhelm you."  I wonder if Ebert was overwhelmed to the extent
that he was unable to see the person using the wheelchair and
communication board.

Kendall Corbett

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950