C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stephen Allman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 16:48:33 EST
Steve:

Last year I had major problems walking and picking small things up like a tea
kettle. I thought I hurt my back so I went to my Dr. and he sent me for an
MRI. The MRI showed I have deteriorating discs in my neck. I was sent for
physical therapy for six weeks which they have me an exercise program and
they showed me some bad habits I was doing. I am still doing the exercise
program and it has helped me a great deal.

I also went to a neurologist and he was too quick to prescribe medication.
When I went into his office I began telling him what was wrong with me and he
quickly interrupted me to tell me about the prescription. I asked him what
was it for and he told me it was for my spacisity and then I asked him what
alternatives do I have? The neurologists did not know me or have my records.
I continued to tell him what was wrong with me and my medical history. The
neurologist was upset with me because he wanted to prescribe something but he
did not know anything about me. I decided not to go back to him because he
thought he could just prescribe something and I would take it and he also
overcharged me.

I cannot undo the damage CP and aging has done to my body but by being active
physically and mentally will help. May I suggest if you or your friend is
having physical problems please see your DR and see what you both can do to
improve. Doctors do not know everything and you have to work together to help
you feel better

Stephen Allman