C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 12:26:37 EDT
Kendall,

My son Ryan was on oral baclofen for a short time.  It made him a zombie, so
we took him off.  He is not a candidate for Botox, as his spasticity is
"dynamic" and only really kicks in when he is in motion.  His spasticity doctor
believes his problems are triggered more by dystonia, and put him on Artane for
awhile.  That drug was hell, and I got him off of it asap.  He is currently on
nothing.  The doctor has talked about using other drugs, as elimination on the
way toward a pump.  That sounds like the same route Janet's doctors are
taking, and is the preferred protocol of the pump manufacturers.  I don't like the
"guinea pig" feel of the whole thing.  I am also not a fan of drugs.  Just
thought I would share our experience.

If you will sign onto the CPPARENT Listserv and search the archives, you will
find many children who have a pump.  Those parents share experiences a lot.
It seems that the kiddos either have amazing experiences or they get
infections and have horrible experiences, eventually having the pump removed.  There
are also several adults on the list who battle spasticity and dystonia, and they
share their experiences also.

That isn't an easy decision, so I wish you the best of luck.
Wanda