C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Virginia Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2013 09:40:55 -0600
I know you're gonna hate this answer, but it depends.

If you overuse weak joints when you are younger, then yes. My dad walked for years with crutches and leg braces. Finally his rotator cuffs just wore out. Now he's in a zippy electric chair (70 yrs old).

The paper here (Chattanooga Times Free Press) just had an article about a man with CP in a similar situation. He can no longer (at 50) do the things he used to do.

I'm being careful with my son (14) who has CP to look at life-span mobility. Some days, when he is very active, I notice more tremors, more spasticity. I think he talks less, too, after physically stressful days. We've started using his wheelchair more now.

Life overall is stressful, so I suspect the effect may be cumulative.

Sorry, Kathy.

Virginia