C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 21:07:46 -0500
(Am snipping to avoid another long post that will clog up inboxes)

I am so sorry your family can't accept you - that is disgraceful.  I
am wondering, however, if they think their homes aren't accessible to
you - if they think you couldn't use the facilities or something.
That's the sticking point for a lot of able-bodied people, I've
discovered.

I've been extraordinarily lucky in that my family has never ever not
embraced me.  In fact, I can't ever remember a time when I was
octracised.  My sister and her husband even looked for a house that
would be accessible to me when they moved back up here to NC from
Florida this past summer, and my relatives in Philadelphia and NJ
have been happy to have me visit in their homes.

I do hope you can find some common ground with your family and come
to an understanding with them.  You are very lucky, indeed, to have
found a "new family" to celebrate with - Mazel Tov!

Kat