C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Kyle E. Cleveland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 08:39:43 -0500
Bravo, Steve!  Thanks for clarifying my post.  Yes, I'm sure my report was
"colored" by the fact that I was aggravated by being inconvenienced.

The local media did, in fact, cover the affair and were quite sympathetic to
ADAPT's message.  I was very concerned when I saw one of the local network
affiliate's news cameras trained on a scuffle between a PWD and "the law".
I figured the focus of the story would be something like "crazy crips
cripple capitol in Columbus", but it was measured coverage.  The ADAPT
spokesperson's comments were well edited and not so emotional as to cloud
their message.

I guess my objections were directed at the strident voice of the news
release.  One would think from the reading that there was a military style
assault on a group of defenseless, peaceful protesters.  If I read that and
hadn't been there, I would have been incensed--ADAPT's goal met!

It boils down to this:  No matter how noble the cause, tell the truth.  If
ADAPT (or any group/individual) exagerates their experience as victims,
sooner or later the "truth will out" and credibility is diminished.

BTW, the main reason that the police were "involved" was that the group
refused to leave the building after normal shutdown time.  We've had some
problems with security threats in several of our government buildings and
the policy is that if you are not supposed to be there after a certain time
of day, you leave.  Employees included.  I value my own skin as much as I
respect the right of peaceful protest, so I concur with the idea behind this
policy.

Yes, others did get to take the rest of the day off.  I work in another
building and was trying to LEAVE that building from lunch, so no, I had to
finish the day.

-Kyle