C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Elaine P. Kane" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 14:08:14 EST
Chester,

    A good movie to see is called "My Left Foot". Daniel Day Lewis portrayed
a man with severe CP. (He was only able to use his left foot). The movie is
based on the true story of an Irish poet/artist named Christy Brown. In my
opinion, which isn't worth very much, this movie is the closest that I have
seen at depicting any type of disability in a truly realistic way.
    Brenda Frick is the actress who portrayed Christy Brown's mother, and she
won an Academy Award for her role in this movie. The movie shows the
struggles with issues such as accessibility, dressing, eating, communicating,
and real life. Geez.... I am starting to sound like a movie ctritic here!!!!
;-)  I give this movie 2 thumbs up and everyone should see it to broaden
their perspective.
     A lesser known movie about a skiier, named Jill Kinmot, does a fair job
on showing the adjustments necessary to be made by an able bodied person, who
suddenly is very dependent. The movie is called "The Other Side Of The
Mountain".
    Most recently, Christopher Reeve had a movie on television showing his
own story. I do not recall the name of it, but if you researched under
Christopher Reeve, I am sure it will come up.
    I hope that this helps you a little bit and I will keep thinking about
other movies that might also apply- <3 Elaine