C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Meir Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:13:08 -0400
I have just posted a follow-up to BSP 68 as Books and Ideas 36
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=CQO.F&m=I_uMBcur39mbyh&b=_EcxRG9ydvkMfcIIz
N_PBg> . I am including the show notes here. I would like to encourage you
to subscribe to this podcast so that you won't miss any episodes. As always
I welcome your comments and suggestions.        Ginger Campbell, MD

The Myth of Alzheimer's: What You Aren't Being Told About Today's Most
Dreaded Diagnosis (2008)
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=CQO.F&m=I_uMBcur39mbyh&b=hd.pEX3bsQtUUEn4J
a4QxA>  argues that we should re-evaluate our current approach to dementia.
Earlier this month I posted an interview with the book's main author, Dr.
Peter Whitehouse (BSP 68
<http://docartemis.com/brainsciencepodcast/2010/04/bsp68-whitehouse/?awt_l=C
QO.F&awt_m=I_uMBcur39mbyh> ). Episode 36 of my Books and Ideas
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=CQO.F&m=I_uMBcur39mbyh&b=_EcxRG9ydvkMfcIIz
N_PBg>  podcast is a follow-up interview with his co-author, Daniel George
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=CQO.F&m=I_uMBcur39mbyh&b=4gMUWk1hUfgZdyz_K
zZOtw> . As a medical anthropologist George helps put current attitudes into
an historical perspective. Labeling  large numbers of older people with the
diagnosis of "Alzheimer's Disease" is a relatively new practice and a closer
examination of how this occurred provides an interesting example of how the
history of medicine (and science) is interwoven with political and social
history. While Whitehouse and George challenge the current approach to
dementia, there message is actually one of hope. I am recommending The Myth
of Alzheimer's to people of all ages.

listen-to-audio-20
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=CQO.F&m=I_uMBcur39mbyh&b=wv5FHc0akTx.rbYpi
BC0aw>  Listen to Episode 36 of Books and Ideas
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=CQO.F&m=I_uMBcur39mbyh&b=wv5FHc0akTx.rbYpi
BC0aw>

Episode Transcript (Download PDF
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=CQO.F&m=I_uMBcur39mbyh&b=QAsD6cOBZy8wBBafi