C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 19:32:42 -0400
Gordon,

I have been wanting to reply to your original post for a few days now.
I also worry about what you are now facing.  When I had my hamstrings
lengthened summer 99 and had to learn to walk again, I used a walker,
then a cane for a time.  It was very hard for me to go from walking
unassisted to needing the aid.  But after I got overe the initial change
it really did help me.

However, if I had to go to a chair, I think I would have much more
difficulty.  I know that those on the list who can't walk view it as
liberating to have a chair.  And maybe I would come to feel that way
too.  But I can't help feeling, cp or not, I should not lose my ability
to walk after I have worked so hard all my life to stay healthy and
strong.  I am hoping that I won't have to deal with wheelchair issues
for a very long time if ever.  Since my cp is mild I hope it won't be an
issue!  But know that there are others out there who feel as you do too.

Linda