C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Hunsberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:45:02 -0600
On Nov 23, 2007 7:25 AM, Cleveland, Kyle E.
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hmmm.  I wonder why more media attention hasn't been given to ex-utero
> umbilical cord stem cell studies?  Successful transplants (especially
> sibling-to-sibling) have been around since 1988.

Well, generally, ex-utero umbilical cord stem cells aren't
pluripotent, though they do have some limited abilities. If you look
around you will find that there are few peer reviewed scientific
studies that indicate success using such autolgous stem cells. The
ones that do exist are for very specific outcomes that aren't yet
therapeutically useful; they are still in the research stage!
Unfortunately, there are a lot of snake oil sales men around that will
be happy to take your money (usually 10's of thousands of dollars) to
inject such cells into your child.  Even more unfortunately there are
people around desperate enough to try this.Before anyone on this lists
attempts this I implore them to do independent research; there are
many pseudo scientific reports that are being used to support these so
called therapies that have no real basis in fact.

--
Peter Hunsberger