C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sandy Goodwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:32:57 -0700
'teasing'... 'harassment' .... 'physical intimidation' - they are all
variants of inappropriate behavior.  I am quite sure that, at any given
moment in time, one will meld into another.  I don't think kids that do this
stuff give thought to what will happen from home .... how will their parents
even know about it?  Go on to the typical elementary campus during recess
and you will find HUNDREDS of kids at recess with perhaps 1 - 3 people out
there 'riding herd'.

Several years ago, one of my former students punched a girl in the nose.  Of
course, the mother of the punched kid came unglued at the knowledge that
some dastardly boy attacked her angelic, wonderful daughter.  In talking
with the boy, I learend the following: "I just couldn't take it any more,
Teacher .... she was teasing me about my face...".  The boy was in foster
care and had FAE (fetal alcohol effect).  If I, someone who is knowledgeable
about facial disfigurements, missed these interactions when they went on
right under my nose, how do you think anyone else is going to catch them?
(By the way, I interpreted this child's face as 'cute' rather than
'different' .... but it wasn't MY interpretation that ultimately counted
here!)

The dear, sweet, angelic girl was unable to stop her teasing.  I called in
the mother a second time to talk with her about this behavior.  Finally,
when all else failed, I told the mother, "your daughter had it coming!"

Years earlier, I had a student who had the blessed effect of (1) being the
principal's son, (2) having a speech impairment, (3) wearing braces and
glasses, (4) having 'soft' neurological signs, (5) being unathletic and
(6)not being a whiz in school.  When I taught his class in Kindergarten, the
kids were all loving, cool, etc.  But three years later, when I had
essentially the same kids in third grade, there was a decided 'shift'.
There was teasing, obscene notes, etc., going on.  I tried all my various
tactics, until I came to "Plan Z".  I told the kids that there was to be no
more teasing of kids in my classroom.  Period.  If I heard about any teasing
and found out it happened, I would tease the teaser.  I reminded them I was
a former third grader and knew all the ins and outs of teasing kids about
mothers, dirty underpants, bad breath, etc.  I would do it in front of the
class and do it for 15 minutes, and if the child cried I would laugh.

The kids were, shall I say, slightly taken aback?  They had known me over
the years as having a great sense of humor, fun to be with, etc., but they
knew with this message I was absolutely serious.  Their parents were
knowledgeable about the ongoing teasing and supportive of my intent.

Thankfully (!!!) there was NO teasing after that.  I held my breath - I
absolutely did NOT want to follow through with anything, but I needed for
the kids to fully understand the painful effect of their actions.

I know, as both teacher and former student, that children learn early on how
to act when adults are around.  What we routinely see may be only the tip of
the iceberg.

Kids with disabilities need to learn from ADULTS WITH DISABILITIES how to
deal with the realities of the disability experience.  Parents, no matter
HOW well meaning, do not necessarily understand the nuances of their child's
particular condition (or the worries and thoughts that kids go through as
they grow up).