C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 09:34:09 -0500
Ken,

        Perhaps his parents just want him to be responsible. As in making
the decision, buying the items, and taking care of it in the morning. We
always have a choice with our kids no matter how old they are of making and
doing things for them - or letting them do that part and just supporting
their decisions. The 19 year old I inherited wants me to make the all
decisions and do the work and she gets the benefits - with my own child - I
told her long ago - when she had to chose between two things and was having
a hard time and said - You do make the decision Mommy - you're the adult. I
came back but it was her life and her decision. If she didn't learn to make
decision when she was young and the decision was only one toy or another -
how would she ever be able to make decisions when she is older and the
decisions are more serious. I always remember she is child first then has
CP - not CP masquarding as a child!! I have notice with the temper bits and
the startle thing everyone wants to place the responisbilty on the CP - and
leaves out the fact that some of this stuff is just plain human. I have
watched Amber struggle with her inabilities since she was a small baby and
never have I heard her blame anything on it. In fact many a time she has
gotten down on herself for not doing something perfectly like the other kids
and I remind  she has done the best she could and not everyone does
everything great at everything - functional  body or not. I think we hit my
soapbox - sorry!!

    Parenting a special needs kid or young adult is not a picnic - You get
all the regular parenting stuff plus the special needs stuff - plus the fact
everytime you think you have it down pat. The kid hits a new stage or age!!!
We parents being old fogys ( NOT) tend to be one step behind!!! Frankly, if
kids didn't whine we where unfair we would lose our villian status - and
what fun is there in that. LOL!! Besides - we haven't heard his parents
point.

                        Brightest Blessings
                               Trisha
-----
From: Barber, Kenneth L. <[log in to unmask]>

>i'm sorry. i don't mean to be critical of people like your parents, but,
>part of being a big boy is making accomodations to take care of problems.
it