C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 18:35:42 EST
In a message dated 02/28/2000 5:19:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I'm taking a genetics/biotechnology class as my science this semester.  We
 were watching a movie about the Human Genome Project today.  It said that
 they've identified genes for neurological conditions like Parkinson's and
 Huntington's, and are doing gene therapies to replace the damaged genes, and
 reduce the effects of the diseases.  I was always under the impression that
 neurological conditions were not genetic, but were caused by some sort of
 damage to the brain.  Does this new research mean that they might be genetic
 after all?  Does that mean they might find a gene for CP?  Has there been
 any research done to that effect?  Thanks for any information.  My apologies
 to people who get this multiple times, but I've posted it to all of my
 disability lists.

Huntingtons is definitely genetic.  I believe I read that there was a school
of thought that Parkinsons bore some genetic relation to Downs, but I know
that sounds ridiculous. Not all neurological disorders are caused by physical
trauma to the brain.  There can be a genetic predisposition for some.

There was an interesting piece in the National Geographic a few months ago
about the human genome project too.  I wish I'd saved it but I gave it to
somebody. In the article they talked about the overwhelming genetic
predisposition for Icelanders to develop arthritis in their hips, and that
they have discovered the gene responsible for cystic fibrosis.

I think this might be a link to an interesting website.  I saved it a long
time ago, but I've never had time to go back and look at it fully.  I just
tried to get into the website now, but AOL is being poopy again and won't let
me.
<A HREF="http://www.ornl.gov/hgmis/faq/seqfacts.html#whatis">Genome Sequencing
</A>