C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael H Collis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 13:34:26 -0500
Bobby, Joanne and Mag,

I think Matt is trying to say that the reason doctors, and to a large
extent, people in general have a negative concept of spasticity is
because spasticity isn't "normal."  Most spastic c.p.er's require a
wheelchair to get around, further aggravating the negativity.  As I've
pointed out, walking is very overrated.  I don't think with my feet...

Human beings being what we are, we really don't like differences in
other people or ourselves.  When we perceive something is other than the
norm, our tendency is to try to bring it to the norm (i.e. be
ablebodied), be it through surgery, drugs, or what have you.  I like
Betty's term for this. She calls it "ABLEISM."   That's not to say we
can't improve through therapy, assistive tech, and/or other ways, as
long as we realize we may never be at the norm.

mike