C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 09:06:29 -0400
Actually, I do know something about this!

We are waiting for Anthony's first chair (due any day now). It is not a power chair (he still hasn't mastered the controls well enough for his OT to grant him a "power" license yet, lol). But we researched all our different options for the frame and the seating insert. Only one company has actually done crash tests on their system ASFAIK - the Jay Company. This is the one we opted to go with. We ordered a Quickie frame.

It doesn't mean the other systems out there are necessarily unsafe - just never been tested. Now that one company HAS tested their product, the others will be scrambling to cover their a**es for liability purposes, I suspect, until they can be tested.

What astounds me is not that Invacare is recommending you not be transported in their chairs but that no one has made crash testing a requirement til now.

Yvonne
Mommy to Anthony, age 4

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/15/01 12:49PM >>>
Hey, did any of you know this???