C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Hunsberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2008 21:13:56 -0500
Don't know what's offered in your area but around here you can get
different levels of Cable data services.  I wouldn't want to use the
lowest grade service; VOIP takes priority but it can get choppy on a
slow line.

You do not need a computer but some services can  work with a
computer; if you have a mic and headset hooked up to the computer
 you can dial from the computer and use the mic and headset to talk.

For power failures a good UPS can help keep things running long enough
to make a call to the power company if need be, but I'd stick with the
cell phone as a back up.

There is a hardware device for the home that basically works like a
home cell tower; you use your cell phone at home and it connects to a
box in your house that goes out over a VOIP service.  Your cell phones
become the only phone you need, but for $200 it's more an interesting
bit of technology than a real option for most people.

If you're serious about doing this have a look at Lingo.com

--
Peter Hunsberger