C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:44:39 -0400
Hi,

  I have been silent for several months due to getting the girls in colleges, working - one part -time job went under, but it took 3 months to happen and I got the next part time job while still working there - so for about 6 weeks I was working 3 jobs, I had surprise surgery and Amber's grandparental units are/where ill and failing. My Mom - Amber's grandmother is finally getting better after a stroke, and surgery, it was touch and go for awhile. Amber paternal grandfather is failing badly, and its a day by day thing. While I don't mind the myriad of things that have needed attention - it would have been nice if they had happened consecutively and not at all the same time or overlapping - but then that wouldn't be very realitic would it.

On the bright side:

Amber and Alexandra graduated high school on 6/14. Yes, I cried. When she first walked out I had this memory of her in the isolette struggling to live and there she was now walking all grown up - a angelic vision in an all white gown and fluffy hair with the white motar board perched atop her head. She has really long hair - past her waist, and it was perfect that evening. Her father came!!!!!!!!! He was resplendent in his dress blues. I will post pictures eventually. Of Amber - not her father. Alexandra got to sing and the she was sitting directly in front of Amber - so it was kinda together. Amber was scared to death she was going to trip - walking across the stage but she made it!!

Amber starts college - Northern Virginia Community College - next Monday. Alexandra is being deposited at Christopher Newport University tomorrow. Amber starting dating in the Spring and has a boyfriend - who just left for Hawaii. If Amber stays here and continues at NOVA, I will get her a car. She is thinking of transferring to Christopher Newport in January. Oh, yes and now also the University of Hawaii. Actually, I am not sure she has a good grasp on what she wants just right now , she is being really annoyingly - a teenager at the moment. We had a family dinner out last night - and I always wondered why when there is a family of four one of the kids sits by mom and the other by dad. You would have thought I had 2 eight year olds instead of 2 college bound young ladies. They have truly become sisters - right down to the you are touching me - Mom, she's touching me - make her move!!

We didn't get to go on our Graduation Cruise - as I was still recooping from surgery and grandparents are still to ill. She gets a trip to Hawaii at Christmas instead. I get a week in Florida next month (my birthday present from my best friend)  and a 4 day cruise in March. Alexandra went to Italy for 18 days, with her xstepfather. She got to briefly see her mom there.I started another Master's program - one in Education - since I teach, thought it might be helpful.

I have been watching the posts, and thinking of you. Lots of smiles .... when I see your names pop up on the e-mail list. I read lots, and still am reading when ever I lay down. Have been sitting in my yard on the patio in the early morning - having coffee, reading and enjoying the weather. Amazingly unDC weather this year - all nice and comfy.

                   Trisha