C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2007 08:17:46 -0600
Aloha,

I still read the list but have not written for a while. There is a
new program in Hawaii for people with disabilities. People have a lot
of fun and it is on Oahu now and will soon be on Maui. The web site
is www.accessurfhawaii.org
Case's father is the development director for this program. It is a
volunteer position at this point but they are raising money. They
have a 'carpet' that goes on the sand so wheelchairs can get to the
water. Then Hawaii waterman put folks on surfboards and take them
out. It's a good time and everyone loves it. If any of you are
planning to vacation here you might want to plan it around this once
a month event. They are planning to take the program national
probably first to Florida and California.
Case turned nine and I got him a personal trainer for his birthday. I
was concerned because he said he felt like his legs were rubber and
that he did not have much strength. It has worked great and he is
gaining strength fast. I think it was partly a confidence problem. At
any rate health plans do not give enough physical therapy.
When I told him what I was doing he said, "Well, Nana that is rather
an unusual gift for a nine year old but it seems like a good one."
Three times a week for 6 weeks and he has already gained tons from
it. He works really hard in training.

All the best to everyone,

Linda