C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rayna Lamb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 18:46:44 +0800
Jennifer,
I always used to feel guilty if I ran over anyone's foot by accident,
even though they got in MY way and weren't looking where THEY were
going.  And I never would have dreamed of doing it deliberately.
Never mind that every single day complete strangers would come up to
me and ask me what was wrong with me, usually in the middle of a flash
of inspiration (I'm a writer), or say `do you have reverse on that
thing' - twice in 45 minutes once (stand behind me and we'll find
out!), or tell me that if they were like me they would kill themselves
(I have tried twice - and if it had worked it would have been murder -
not suicide, but I'm full of life and raring to go now), I've even had
people come up to me and tell me that I'm faking it and I don't need
to use the scooter because I look relatively normal when I'm sitting
down - I just tilt to the left a little.(Oh, yeah, I do it to improve
my social standing - pardon the pun!)
And I'm not even going to MENTION the sort of cruel, vicsious
things my family have said, and still say to me.  But one day a couple
of months ago I had had enough (I don't mind genuine ignorance when
people are polite and get their timing right, but invasive stupidity
is another thing altogether).  I was at the train station and this guy
was talking to the railway employee who had the ramp for me to get on
the train.  Apparently he was studying psychology and was working at
the local spinal rehab hospital, and he was talking about it in such a
patronising way - like he was doing the people there such a great
favour by `helping' the `less fortunate' (Not his exact words but his
tone of voice).  And during all this my internal d**k h**d detector
was pretty sure that this prat was going to say something to me before
I got on the train.  Bullseye!!  He turned and noticed me and said
`careful you don't get a speeding ticket on that', and I said `well at
least I won't get a ticket for making stupid comments' (I know, not one
of my best but I was caught on the hop!!) He thought I was joking!!
and I'm not a subtle person, it is very obvious when I'm angry, and I
was ANGRY.  So I started telling him off about invading my privacy and
space and being patronising etc.  He didn't like that one bit, after
all he was doing his good deed for the day paying attention to a poor
pathetic cripple who obviously has nothing else good in her life.  So
he started yelling at me (can't remember what he said, but he wasn't
happy), the train came, Railway guy puts the ramps up for me, psych(o)
guy was still ranting at me, and he stands right in front of the ramp
so I can't roll on, and he is STILL yelling, and so I deliberately ran
right over his feet on to the train - and I didn't feel one bit
guilty!!  In fact it still gives me a kick.
I now know too many wonderful AB's who treat me with dignity and
respect (and even one or two great professionals), to tolerate even
for a minute those who won't.

I know I've gone on a bit, but I though you guys would appreciate this
story!

Rayna