C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 11:37:46 -0400
Just my 2 cents:

As well as PTSD and SID you may want to check into the adult form of ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). Just a thought...

Anthony (age 4) has a few sensory integration issues - hates to have his hair towel-dried, hates laying on less-than firm surfaces (ie plastic changetable pads), hates to have the backs of his hands rubbed (this is improving - this is probably from repeated IVs as a preemie and not from CP), hates certain siren and whistle sounds (like child's party noisemakers, even if not too loud).

Loud or unexpected noises make him startle. We have found if we warn him or count "1-2-3 Loud noise" he is okay most of the time now. Also, since he was a baby, we have deliberately made a game out of startling him on purpose and then laughing. We have conditioned him this way to laugh instead of crying most of the time when he is startled. Helps him cope.

Yvonne

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/04/01 08:27PM >>>
Folks,

Is it just me, or does everybody with CP have hypersensitivity or sensory
intergration problems?  I would like to know because I think I have
sensory problems that have never been addressed.  Is there any help for
that?  I'm emotionally hypersensitive as it is, and I was abused as a
child and adult.  Yet, I am convinced for some time now that there is a
definite neurological component to all of this.

For example, I jump at loud noises. I can't talk to more than one person
at a time because I get overloaded and melt down.  I need it quiet most
of time.  I'm probably tactile defensive.  I could go on.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Matt