C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 04:31:02 +0100
                "Denise D. Goodman" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Trisha writes, "All of us lose abilities as we age - especially
> the more couch potato inclined -  active people last longer -
> as what you don't use - you lose."
>
> Now, of course this is true for most people, but my question
> is, "Does this rule apply to a body with cp?"  There has been
> talk in the past about NOT over-using the body.  Like we have a
> limited number of miles on our odometers.  Race through the
> first 25 years or so, then spit and sputter till you end up on
> the tow truck.  Where as if you gently broke that engine in,
> took it easy - didn't push your pistons, then you might get
> another maintenace free 20,000 miles out of your body.

I'm not entirely convinced by the arguments for 'Ageing with CP'
being an entirely separate issue than just 'Ageing'. Of course
physical abuse, be it inflicted from over doing sports when
young, incorrect dietary habits, substance abuse, or an abusive
spouse, will come back to haunt us as we age, just as they would
anyone.

It is hard to gauge which problems are purely CP related. It is
too easy to assume that gait problems lead to joint problems in
later life, that the pains in my back, ankles, feet, are due to
walking funny, after all, our skeletons aren't designed for
bi-pedal locomotion at all. We're "designed" to frolic around on
all fours. So everyone walks "funny" from that perspective. From
simple observation in the general population, it appears that
joint problems (not brought on by physical abuse) bear some
correlation to body mass. My pains are far more noticeable if I
gain just 7-8lbs. Gait probably is a factor, the adaptations the
body has to make to accommodate our walking styles may work fine
when we're 90lbs at age 11-12, but every extra pound just puts
more stress on the skeleton, but the same is true for
non-disabled too.

As regards energy, I cannot for the life of me see why CP has a
bearing on this. You may have a higher metabolism due to
Athetosis, burning off energy in unwanted movements, but I don't
think this "per-se" leads to ageing problems. I can change from
lethargy to abundant energy given the right stimulus. ;-)

I do take Trisha's point about musculature problems with "Hemis"
and I think this is valid.

I don't think this idea that "preserving" your body when young
will give you extra maintenance free mileage in the future holds
a lot of water. There are many examples of biological systems
which allow a deficit build-up, (sleep, anerobic exercise, ...)
but have little effect when turned the other way. You cannot
carry an abundance of sleep forward. In fact, having too
sedentary a life when young could be positively harmful, leading
to weight gain, and low fitness levels. For example, up until my
30s my necksize was out of proportion to the rest of my body,
probably due to athetoid movement of my head in non vertical
situations. As my sports/exercised decreased so did my collar
size, and then one day, playing football (soccer) with the kids,
looking down at the ball, pop goes a vertebrate at the bottom of
the neck. Who's to say that if I had maintained my activity level
and kept the neck musculature this would not have happened.

> Anyone know the pros and cons of this, "use it or loose it"
> issue for a cp chassis? Denise who like T-Rex is just a
> "Jeepster." :D

For your luv.

Cheers

--