C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 09:28:02 -0400
For those of you who want to know how hot it can get down here <grin>

Beth the OT
email address: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Fw: Moving to Florida

Diary of a Northerner in Florida

April 30th
     Florida is fantastic!   Just got here and love it already.   Now
this
is a state that knows how to live! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy
evenings. What a place!   Watched the sunset from a park lying on a
blanket. It was beautiful.   I've finally found my home.   I love it
here.

May 14th
Really heating up.   Got to 89 today.   Not a problem, live in an
air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car.   What a pleasure to
see
he sun every day like this.   I'm turning into a real sun worshipper.

June 5th
     Had the backyard landscaped with tropical plants today.   Lots of
palms
and rocks.   What a  breeze to maintain.   No more mowing for me.   NO
MORE
SHOVELING SNOW EITHER!  Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 1st
The temperature hasn't been below 90 all week, not even at night.
Where are those ocean breezes we heard about, still seems hot.   Getting
used
to it will take a while, I guess.   I sure miss my LP collection,
though.
I'll have to remember not to leave anything made out of plastic in my
car.
Got one of those fuzzy steering wheel covers.   Cheaper than the burn
ointment for my hands.   I always wondered what burnt flesh smelled
like.

July 15th
     Fell asleep by the pool.   (Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my
body).
Missed two days of work, what a dumb thing to do.   I learned my lesson
though, got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

July 20th
     I miss our cat, Tabby.   He snuck into the car when I left this
morning. By the time I got out to the hot car for lunch, he'd swollen up
the size of a shopping bag and just as I opened the door he exploded all
over
$2,000 worth of leather upholstery.   I told the kids he ran away.   The
car
now smells like Kibbles and poop.   No more pets in this heat!

July 25th
     Ocean breezes, my foot.   Hot is hot! The home air conditioner is
on
the Fritz and the AC repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me
he
needed to order parts.   Only hope for a break in the heat would be a
hurricane.

July 30th
     Been sleeping outside by the pool for three nights now.   Swatting
the
swamp mosquitoes that are as big as B-52's.  $1,500 in darn house
payments
and we can't even go inside.   Why did I ever come here?

Aug 4th
     100 degrees.   Finally got the air conditioner fixed today.   It
cost
$500 and gets the temperature down to about 90.   The electric bill is
almost
as much as the house payment.   And two old lady drivers almost ran me
off
the road.   I hate this state.

Aug 8th
     If another wise jerk cracks, "Hot enough for you today?" I'm going
tear his head off.   By the time I get to work the radiator is boiling
over,
my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like  roasted Garfield!

Aug 10th
     The weather report might as well be a damn recording: "Hot and
sunny."
It's been too hot for two months and the weatherman says it might really
warm
up next week.   And who came up with the statement "It may be hot, but
at
least you don't have to shovel it" should die from heat exhaustion.
Doesn't
it ever rain in this God forsaken place?

Aug 14th
     Welcome to Hell! Temperature got to 102 today.   Forgot to crack
the
window and blew the windshield out of the Lincoln.   The installer came
fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?"
     My wife had to spend the $1,500 house payment to bail me out of
jail.

Aug 30th
     Worst day of the summer.   I'm not leaving the house.   The monsoon

rains finally came and all they did is to make it muggier than heck and
drove
the darned roaches out of the ground.   I wasn't aware they could fly!
The
Lincoln is now floating somewhere in the Caribbean with its new $500
windshield.   That does it, we're moving back up north where all you
have to
worry about is getting mugged. I hope this state breaks in half and
floats
down to Cuba!