C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kimberlee Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 16:25:25 EDT
Thanks, Beth.  Stefan has a private OT at the local Children's Hospital, but
she is working with him in conjunction with the ST for Augmentative
Communication stuff.  I think I'll talk to her about potentially doing
additional therapy.  I do feel that once Stefan starts Kindergarten I'll want
to seek additional help also because I really feel that the school system has
no idea what to do with a child like Stefan.  The majority of the "severe"
(not my terminology) kids are sent to a specific school in the County where
reading and writing are not actively pursued.  Stefan is very motivated -
he's just limited so much physically that even reaching for and holding
things is an effort.

At this point, the preschool doesn't really have academic goals, other than
making Stefan rehash colors and shapes (over and over again).  They are
working on behavior issues - he has a hard time staying still and focusing.
He loves to play with the other kids so much that it's very distracting for
him.  I'm trying to relate everything that I want to see him working on to
his potential future education, but they like to be more general than
specific on the IEP.  Keeping it vague helps them, not him.  Thanks for all
of your help.

Kimberlee, mom to Stefan (4) and Alex (9)