C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joy Liebeskind <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2007 14:02:16 -0400
I have a daughter- Young adult (19) who is terrified of dogs & very
allergic to dogs. She is in a wheelchair-so hard to get away from them-
but service dogs are supposed to be washed regularly to eliminate
dander & shedding hair. I think people with service dogs don't all
follow the rules as well as they should making health issues for others
around then with & without disabilities.   joy   Ct
On Aug 17, 2007, at 10:43 PM, kat wrote:

> Well... I can *kind* of understand the other side of it as I am
> allergic
> to tobacco smoke - kinda hard to live with in a tobacco town, eh?  But
> it did tick me off too as I think the ADA is being abused by people who
> claim they are disabled because of obesity, etc.    I wonder what's
> next
> - a guy claiming ADA rights becauise he's got gout and doesn't want
> wheelchairs around for fear of being run over on his foot?
>

> Kat
>
> Kendall D. Corbett wrote:
>> Ken and Mag (and any others who are interested) -
>>

>> Another case potentially weakening the ADA, this one out of
>> California.
>>
>> In the case, a woman who uses a guide dog was prevented from taking a
>> dog into an area of a ferry boat, because another frequent passenger
>> had requested an area that was free of animal dander.  The 9th Circuit
>> ruled against the woman with the guide dog.
>>
>> On the other hand, I could see the other passenger filing an ADA
>> discrimination suit, because the presence of animal dander in all
>> areas of the boat made it impossible for them to use the public
>> accomodation.
>>
>> http://www.metnews.com/sos.cgi?0807%2F0556483
>>
>> Tell me what you think of this one!
>>

> -----------------------

Joy C Liebeskind
Coordinator Family to Family Health Information Network
Favor Inc      2138 Silas Deane Highway  Suite 103
Rocky Hill, Ct 06067
860-563-3232 Ext 108     866-630-6055  Toll Free
Cell Phone 203-641-0679
Coordinator CT Lifespan Respite Coalition (CLRC)
Medical Home Initiative at CLRC
CTRespite.org        [log in to unmask]
860-247-2572 or 860-513-0172
860-247-2572 or 203-272-9058