C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"I. STEPHEN MARGOLIS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 23:31:50 -0500
Perk,

What do you think denial is about?

You don't have to answer.  I'd really like to know, though.

Do you ever wish you DIDN'T have CP?  I do, a lot.  And I pretend I don't
have CP, a lot.  I get angry a lot when I can't pretend.

Life's tough enough with CP.  Pretending CP isn't there makes life tougher,
like trying to move a wheelchair with its breaks on or eat soup with a fork.
Everything takes more energy.  Pretending doesn't make CP go away.

I think I deny my CP so I can pretend I'm like everybody else who doesn't
have CP.

Perk, do you know the bit about vampires and mirrors?  Vampires don't have a
reflection.  Well I feel like a vampire in reverse.  I look in a mirror, or
store window when shopping, or at a picture.  I see my image and I
disappear.

That to me is what denial's about.  I can't accept or see the truth and
reality about my Cerebral Palsy.  I'd rather live the lie than admit the
truth.

Please let me know what you think and feel.

Thanks,

Steve M.