C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:56:35 EST
In a message dated 11/22/1999 2:41:03 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< I think it is becoming harder and harder for schools these days. >>

Anee, I think you're right.  I'd like to segue into a discussion about
evacuation plans for people with disabilities.  I'm more and more concerned
that there are no apparent provisions to help school children with
disabilities in the event of a terrorist threat.  This seems to fall in line
with fire/other emergency evacuation plans.

When I was a fire inspector, I was conducting a fire drill for an office
building one day.  I was on one of the upper floors to see how personnel
evacuation was progressing, and noticed a guy using a wheelchair, and his
office mate heading for the elevator.  I mentioned that they couldn't use the
elevator in case of fire, and the office mate quickly responded that her
coworker was using a wheelchair and couldn't take the stairs.  We had
previously made plans for two specific people in his office to assist him
down the stairs in the event of a fire, but that plan was forgotten during
the drill.

We talk a lot about equal access, but I worry about equal exit access.

On another occasion, I chewed a guy out (politely) who used a wheelchair and
who decided that a fire drill was just a drill and that he didn't have to
participate.  Everybody else had left the building and I found him at his
desk when I was checking to see if anyone had stayed behind.  Participating
fully in evacuation drills is even more critical if you might need help
getting out of the building in a real emergency.  It could mean your life
(she said dramatically)!

That haunts me a little bit.  In the first situation, the man's coworker gave
me a dirty look that could have burned a hole through my head.  I wasn't
supposed to make a reference to this man's disability, I guess.  I didn't
have a disability then, but I knew what I know now.  You can't use an
elevator in case of fire.  Fire, or more likely smoke inhalation, won't give
you bonus points for having a disability.  She thought I was being
insensitive, but her sensitivity was not my concern.  This man's life safety
was.

I always wanted to lobby to have people who couldn't use the elevators to
have offices on the evacuation floor when possible, but I know it wasn't
always possible.  I just don't like the idea of someone automatically having
to depend on someone else to get out of a building if they can't use the
elevator.  It's only paranoia until there is a fire.

To make a long story short, I wonder how many schools who have students with
disabilities have taken this into account for terrorist threat conditions (or
fire evacuation situations).  There probably is a reference someplace in most
of the game plans, but I wonder how well prepared they are to actually carry
out the plans.

Betty