C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 03:23:51 EST
In a message dated 02/15/2000 3:14:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Most people aren't aware that those striped areas are there for a reason!!!
 They just see the extra wide space and don't realize that it is for people
 with vans and wheelchair ramps. I know because I have had to tell people
 about that space. They don't realize that it is illegal to park within those
 stripes. Of course when you get a spot that makes it impossible to park in
 straight, you wonder about the way they put them in the tightest areas
 possible. LOL

 Just my 2 cents worth of experience,

It's worth a lot more than 2 cents Dina!  I had an interesting conversation
with a man about this very subject a few months ago.  He was parked almost
halfway into the access area, and I brought it to his attention (politely).
He said that he didn't want another car to hit his while the passenger opened
the door and that's why he parked that way.  When I explained about the van
lift problem, he said "You don't get your wheelchair out of the side -- you
get it from the back of your van!"  I replied "It's not just about you or me
though, is it?  We have to look out for each other ."

He didn't seem mad because I said that, and I hope it really did make an
impression on him.  I just couldn't believe he thought his reason for parking
that way was valid though!

Betty