C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:52:19 -0500
True, you do want to avoid tolerance, but long-term studies show that in
individuals with real, organic pain, titration tends to slow down, even
level off, as you reach those levels where pain is attenuated to a level one
can handle.  I have been titrating slowly upward over a period of seven
years, but I still don't feel as if I've reached "setpoint".  The bitch is
that research has demonstrated the brain's capability of building new neural
networks to get around the pain-relieving effects of the opiates.

Re: the paradox effect, I can relate.  When I was using Lortab, Laura would
call it "Crabtab" because I felt anxious and grumpy.  The pain was
attenuated, but I didn't like the way the stuff made me "feel".

-Kyle