C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 18:04:41 -0500
Hi Mariana,

    Your CP is neither good nor bad - it simple is. Things only have the
value we place on them. He has made a positive out what others see as a
negative when in truth no value judgement needs to made at all. I don't see
Amber CP or Betty's PN - as anything other than a facet of them. It carries
no good or bad - it simply is. I have made an effort to never place a value
judgement -if I possibly can - I have watched how children pick their cues
of how to act from us. If we see something as bad - they do - if we see
something as good - they do. Case in point - falling down. Purely an
accidental thing too. Amber fell down as a toddler - and it looked funny - I
laughed and she turned around and saw I was laughing and laughed to and got
up and toddled over to me. She took her cue of how to act from my reaction -
had I been horrified - she would have started crying. I saw this happen
later and the woman woefullly over-reacted - and her kid who had merely sat
down to hard -looked at her and then began screaming and was inconsolable.
To this day when Amber falls (and me too) - we laugh - and she did just take
a header on the church stairs - not last Friday but the Friday before - and
she turned around and we laughed. We do fix boo-boos if they happened. But
we put stuff in prespective and remove the judgements - they are what hurts
others. We all live for the positive - the love, the approval, the praise -
the things that say we are worthwhile. I am sorry your mother chose to take
the negarive path - you are wonderful and talented - and that is what is
important about you.

                                    Brightest Blessings and Hugs
                                                    Trisha

>                I cried when I saw David Roche performed in public.  If his
>disability is a gift, then I need to rethink mu attirude about having CP.
I >need to stop buying into my mother's appraisal "CP is a curse" abd
>society's apprasal "What is wrong with you?"  I tend to see it as one of
>the many cards in the hand I was dealt.  What matters most is how I >play
my hand.  David Roche
>got dealt some deuces but he has played that hand to the utmost!
>Vaya con ka diosa,
>Mariana
>
>At 10:19 AM 3/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
>>I am un_ ashamedly stealing this from the  OUR KIDS site - PS I ask!!
This