C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:26:44 -0500
Sadaam worries me.  Kim scare the living bejabbers out of me.  North Korea
feels their back is against the wall, whereas I believe Sadaam is oblivious
to his own mortality.

In either region, we've nothing to lose and everything to gain by copious
amounts of subtle, and not-so-subtle, saber rattling.  It's what Kim &
Sadaam understand.

Specific to Iraq and bin Laden, though, as they've been the line of this
thread:

Heck, all of us CPers have been on the butt end of playground bully pranks.
Did you for once ever think that the bully was ever impressed by admonitions
of the playground teacher, "you should be ashamed of yourself for picking on
'helpless' Kyle"?
I don't ever recall a time where her kindly interventions produced a
reprieve from the poundings.  What did, however, make the change was the
time I got so livid that I stood my ground. I used every tool at my disposal
to wreak as much pain on this kid as was possible.  I hit, bit, kicked.  I
used a bat.  I kicked him in the groin with my braced foot.

Sure, I was punished by the adults (parents, principal and teachers) for my
retaliation, but that was a pill of small bitterness compared to the
sweetness of not being subject to a daily beating.  Was I justified?  You
bet!  Not because he deserved it or because I wanted to retaliate for all
the poundings I had taken from him, but because it was the only way to make
him stop beating me up.  It was the only language he understood.

Before the Soviet Union returned to its pre-1917 geography of several
sovereign states (tongue twister, no?  Hated to pull that one on a bunch of
spastics <g>.), there were very few acts of terrorism against the Soviet
state.  Why so?  The Soviets refused to make "deals" with terrorist.  In
fact, the smattering of "terrorists" that attacked the USSR were met by
retaliation quick and severe--acts of retaliation that are unspeakable on
this forum.

Do I think the US should follow suit?  Hardly.  I do believe, however, that
the Euro/American left sees the world in colors incomprehensible to much of
the poorest regions of Asia, Asia Minor and Africa.

After Michael Durant's helicopter was shot down over Mogadishu, Somalia in
October, '93, he had the following exchange with his captor/keeper (a
lieutenant of Mohammed Fara Adid):

Durant: "My government will never negotiate for my release.  Even if you
kill me."

Captor: "Ah, but you see, here, killing IS negotiation."

My whole point is this:  Peaceful negotiation is a foreign concept to
cultures who only settle disputes by force.  If the regions leaders (and
that laughable entity known as the United Nations) had any sense, they would
welcome US unilateral intervention.  Not only would it bring stability to
Iraq in a myopic sense, but in the larger scope as well.  George W. would
have his place in history as he would have an open invitation to create a
Marshall/MacArthurian plan to "re" build an Iraq that never was.

-Kyle