C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 14:10:21 -0700
Bobby,

If there are 500 in the test group and the study group with a 1.25% greater risk for the study group for rates of heart attack, when it's generalized to the number of people that Celebrex or Vioxx are prescribed for, the numbers add up quickly.

Celebrex prescriptions brought in 2.25 billion dollaras, and Vioxx brought in 2.29 billion.  I'm not sure how much the drugs actually cost, but if 1/100 of the total dollar amount represents the number of prescriptions, that's 22.5 milion people for Celebrex, and if 1.25% of these people are suffering heart attacks because of the drugs, that amounts to 281,250 people, or over half the population of the state I live in.  To me, that's an alarming number.

Kendall