C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2007 14:50:07 -0400
Ah..."teach to the test".  If I have one huge beef with Dubbya, "No
Child Left Behind" and the resulting "teaching to the test" would be it.
In Ohio, many schools took the "Highly Qualified Teacher" guidelines as
set in stone and implemented the mandates that the secondary level
teachers have 20 semester hours in the taught subject.  Whaddya
know--Special Ed teachers teach EVERY core subject.  That means that
certified SE teachers in Ohio would need to go back to school, full
time, for two years in order to meet the guidelines.  They were trying
to apply these guidelines to teachers who had been in the classroom 30+
years!  No wonder these folks were taking early outs.  I think, in part,
a lot of school boards used "Highly Qualified Teacher" to get rid of
expensive teachers with lots of years in the system and replace them
with 20-somethings who would work for $20K per year.