C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 12:09:19 -0500
Hi  Deri,

         i was requesting to an inquirey from Bob and I do believe I was
rerquesting input from others - as to their feelings about - If that wasn't
clear - I am sorry. I did not say I considered spamming merely - it could be
a possibility depending on your view. Therefore if one person had a
complaint perhaps others do and have the right to voice their opinion.

> > Can we take a poll about this?  Are their others who object to
> > this. Please give me some feed back and we can determine what
> > to do from there.
> >
> Darrell Paulsen has CP, is active in disability rights, and is
> currently standing for public office. Given these facts it is
> difficult to understand under what criteria for "spamming" you
> are considering his posts.
> As you are aware, I feel we do not have a mandate, as merely list
> administrators, to police membership nor content of posts (except
> in very rare and obvious circumstances).
> I was very pleased to see you posting:-
>    "The list is open to all topics - everyone has delete key"
> when someone queried the recent preponderance of religious posts.
> So we can all see which way you will "vote".

 I do not believe I have ever said we did.

> Bob's done the sensible thing of adding a filter to stop
> receiving the Paulsen Posts (if he doesn't want to read them)
> there is no reason for us to do more.

       Cool - this is something I don't know how to do - perhaps you could
post instructions to the list.

> > Recently there have been two ongoing topics of discussion on
> > the SJUowners list - the first was on webclipping.com - and the
> > major push they were making by joining everyone lists and then
> > I guess collecting info to sell things -
> No, their clients are typically manufacturers, and their service
> is to clip posts which relate to their clients' products. So if
> one of their clients was a wheelchair manufacturer and one of the
> C-PALSY posters mentioned a design problem with their chair,
> hopefully this would get clipped and sent back to the
> manufacturer. Many companies offer this service for other forms
> of media - what is the problem?
> > As soon as I saw one join the list - I instantly deleted
> Shame, our voice will not be heard!!

    My assumption is they will try agian. There are few people more
obnoxious or persistance than sales people. As far as I am concerned before
this allowed people should be told and polled - They no we make the rules -
remember - this why I have now put the stuff up for a vote. Its easy enough
to readd someone.

> > - had some coding to add to keep this from
> > happening - Deri - did you add it?  - or do we need to discuss
> > this.
> >
> No, this list is "open" to any individual, company (or robot!!!).

        Ummmm - I think maybe list members should make this decision!!!

> > > In my opinion, it is the same as if everybody decided they
> > > wanted to use Blue Mountain Greeting cards to communicate
> > > with and thereby have Blue Mountain sending their "You have a
> > > Greeting Card!" message to the list for everybody to go and
> > > pick up, read and reply to.
> > >
> He's not having a go at you is he Trisha? We'd miss all those
> greeting card type messages you send to the list.

   No Deri, I don't he is - Randy is a friend of mine - if he had a
problem - he would address me directly. Many people enjoy getting those
cards - and the delete key is available to the others. This statement came
across a bit sarcastic to me - did you mean it that way?

> Shoutmail's service is certainly better than receiving a 250k
> .wav file as an attachment (which wouldn't get through the lists
> length limit anyway!!).
> Randy's main objection is lack of relavent subject line, I'm sure
> Shoutmail could "fix" this if enough people asked.

    you know we keep the list stuff simple becasue not eveyone has fancy
computer that handle fancy stuff - it seems the more complex you let things
become - people with limited computer access and simple systems lose out. I
run a fancy system at work and at home but have no sound capibility at work.
I think this would exclude some people. I, of course could be wrong. I feel
anything which would exclude members is not a step up. You may have a much
better understanding of this. But regardless of our thoughts - as you keep
reminding me for fear I will do something awful - its not our decision -
which is why I mentioned it. I am not sure why you object to everything I
do - Is it becasue I am a Bitch or a Witch? Or lol both!!

                                     Brightest Blessings
                                           Trisha