C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Vicki Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 20:52:36 PDT
Joyce,

Another option you might want to consider if insurance won't cover it, is
contacting your local fraternity like the Loyal Order of the Moose, Elks
Club or something like that.  They usually have "community projects" that
they contribute to and will help out.  My daughter did hippotherapy for 8
1/2 years, (way before it was even accepted as a "therapy") and my folks
Moose lodge collected aluminum cans and gave me a check every month to pay
for her sessions.  Our facility also gave scholarships so our cost was
reduced.  Now that most insurance companies recognize hippotherapy as
theraputic because they get the one-on-one with the PT.  Another key thing
to find out is if the program is Accredited.  The way you can find out is
there is a web site at http://www.narha.org  There you can find your state
and then find your program.  If there is a * next to the name, then they are
accredited, thereby should be covered by your insurance.  Another thing, if
you haven't already is call your insurance customer relations or whatever
they call it and ask if they cover hippotherapy by an accredited program.
Hope this helps.

Vicki - Mom to Heather 13 1/2 and Jacob 5