C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 23:57:47 +0100
                  Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> As you may recall, I once posted about emergency evacuation for
> school children with disabilities, and said that I would
> contact various authorities having jurisdiction (AHJ) regarding
> the subject regulations.  I didn't receive specific information
> to pass along, but I will share what they shared with me as
> well as some follow up thoughts.  This topic is fairly old now,
> and I apologize for taking so long to get back to you.  My
> tardiness doesn't reflect my opinion of the seriousness of this
> issue.

[snip]

Very interesting Betty. Incidentally the Tyne & Wear Metropolitan
Area is my old University stomping ground, the "Geordies" are
wonderful people.

What do you think of Halon as a fire suppressant gas? My computer
room has a Halon release system (only set on "auto" when noone is
in the room), although the manual release switch is well within
my stumble height!!

At a previous building I worked the computer room was below
ground level. One day we had the Fire Officer in for a Halon
release test (where we substituted a red smoke canister for the
Halon). All went smoothly, smoke filled entire room, and then the
vent pumps kicked in and the smoke was sucked out. I'm sure the
Fire Officer was about to give us a clean bill of health until we
walked around the side of the building to see 20 people stood at
a bus stop with red smoke billowing out of a vent all over them,
oops!!!

Cheers,

--
Deri James