C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 00:13:48 +0100
On Wednesday 08 May 2002 5:41 pm, Kathleen Salkin wrote:
> If you mean, why did you get my reply and not the list, it was
> because I sent it to you directly.  Sorry...
>
> Kat
>
> On Wed, 8 May 2002 09:36:30 -0700 Chester Worwa <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:

[snip]

> > PS:  I don't know why Kat that your thing doesn't
> > replay to the list like every one else.

Chester may be referring to the fact that if we hit "Reply" to one of
your posts it defaults to just posting to you (rather than going to
the list as a whole), whereas replying to almost every other poster
defaults to sending to the list. (Try it! hit reply on one of your
own posts!!).

The rather boring reason for this is that in the mail headers that you
send out both "From:" and "Reply-To:" point to your address, whereas
it is more normal - for a mailing list - for "Reply-To:" to contain
the address of the mailing list. Not everyone will be affected by
this 'cos some e-mail clients allow you to overide the "Reply-To:" by
telling it to always reply to the list if it gets filtered into a
particular mailbox set up to receive list posts. I know, I know, more
than you ever wanted to know - one of my (many) failings. ;-(

Cheers

Deri