C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 10:23:21 -0500
Hi Susie,
Beth the OT here with a few suggestions.  I like the suggestions a lot that
were already made. Others that may be helpful:
1.  Learn how professors test.  What information are they looking for.  Some
are very nitpicking wanting you to know what color the characters eyes were.
Others may want you to understand global concepts.  Some take all their
information out of the texts provided and use lecture time as a time of
discussion and clarification.  Some use almost all lecture material.
2. Don't be bashful.  Ask your profs where they get test material from and
what they are looking for.  Also, ask if you can have copies of their
lecture notes (which may or may not be helpful) and any visuals they are
using for the class.  This can be you making the copies, or perhaps a copy
being made available in the library for your to  copy from.
3.Learn what you need from your notes.  I used to keep notes to help my
attention span in class.  Otherwise, if I'm not activily(sp?) engaged in
activity, I tend to fall asleep. (Ok, bad habit picked up from high school)
Do you need notes for specific details?  clarification of points made in
class?  Are you a write everything the prof says kind of person?
4.  I like the shorthand idea.  I used it myself in school.  People could
never read my notes one because my handwriting is so poor, and two I used my
own combination of basic programming language, mathmatical symbols, medical
abbreviations and my own abbreviations with pg. no. ref (page number
references) thrown in.
5.  Look into using a combination of methods.  Enkidu products has some
interesting Windows CE compatable software.  Windows CE is like the Palm
software only more capable of working some of the more powerful windows
programs such as word prediction software, etc.  Also, the nice thing about
the handhelds is that you can get an on screen keyboard to is alphabetical
(I'm having a hard time spelling today) instead of the usual QWERTY layout.
The web address is www.enkidu.net

Hope that gives you a few things to think about, and even more so hope it
gives you something you can use.

Beth the OT