C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 23:52:02 -0400
Hi Asdis,

I actually live in DC, and I'm going to George Washington University, so I'm
pretty familiar with the area.

Your hotel is about four blocks from the nearest metro station.  The Metro
is our subway, and it's extremely accessible.  Gallaudet is about a mile
from a metro station, but there's a bus that connects the metro train to the
University.  So, you'd take a red line train from the Dupont Circle station
(near the hotel) to the Union Station station (near Gallaudet).  From there,
take a D bus, and then walk two blocks to Gallaudet.

The Gallaudet visitors site
(http://pr.gallaudet.edu/visitorscenter/directions/Metro.htm) and Metro site
(http://www.wmata.com) have better information.  I know this must sound
confusing, but our Metro system is one of the best in the country, and I use
it all the time to get around the city.  The city itself is extremely
accessible.  There are tons of curb cuts, and almost all buildings have
barrier free entrances.  I'd check with your hotel, though.  Some of the
older hotels have been deemed "historic", so they don't have to conform to
accessibility laws.  I found their web site at
(http://www.thechurchillhotel.com/).

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!  I really love
this city, and I'd love to help you out.  The conference sounds amazing!
I'm taking a sign language class this summer, which I figure will be useful
in my advocacy work.  Deaf culture really fascinates me.  Again, please let
me know if you need to know anything else.

~Joy~