C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beth Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 16:27:53 -0400
Hi Linda,

You sound like you are a great teacher, and are in tune with your students.
Back when I was in school, the teachers didn't have a good idea of what my
problems were.  They knew I was handicapped, knew I was excused from phys.ed.
and knew that I wore leg braces that weighed 5 pounds.  Other than that, I don't
think they knew much else.  I had an incident with a high school English teacher
(this was in the late 70's), who, when asked if I could go to the bathroom, I
was refused.  I did not say anything more - but the next day went to the
guidance counselor about it.  I told him that when a person has an ostomy, they
are not joking around when they say they have to go to the bathroom!  Her excuse
for not letting me go - was that she thought I wanted to "skip class".  I ended
up having the guidance counselor tell all my teachers, that when "I" asked to
use the bathroom, I was NOT kidding around and HAD to go.......

See ya
Beth
--
Don't forget to visit http://rvs.netporch.com/ for RVS fan pics, rvsfans