C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 15:35:06 -0500
I see your point, Kyle. Thanks.

I checked out the website, Bobby. This guy is sick and twisted but I liked him, lol! My favourite is the abandoned wheelchair in the desert with the posse. The caption reads "Don't worry, he won't get far on foot." I thought that was hysterical. I remember shocking a whole room full of twin and triplet mothers once when I made the comment that at least 2 of my year-old triplets stayed where I put them! My friends with special needs kids would laugh at a comment like that - humour, even the sick stuff is the only thing that gets you through some days! :-)

Yvonne
Mom to survivng triplets Bobby & Anthony (CP), age 4 and our angel, Joey (CP)

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/01/02 12:54PM >>>
I guess it begs the issue of why have a kid in a chair anyway, if you're not
going to explain why he's there.  If we are looking at Pelswick's live as a
quad, there is no getting around that fact that IT DOES HAVE AN IMPACT on
his life and the lives of his friends.  Everyday.

I'm not syaing that the disability shoould be the focus of the show--far
from it!  What I AM saying is that an occasional rference to his disability,
and its etiology, should be referenced every once in a while.  For my kids
it raised more questions than it answered.  That posed no problem for me, as
I am a PWD, but able-bodied parents of able-bodied kids need "a leg up", so
to speak.  They have no frame of reference, no category for this.  Would
that not be the rationale behind having a PWD as the "star" of the 'toon?  I
think too, Yvonne, that comparing adult programming with kids' programming
is apples and oranges.  I'm sure Mr. Callahan wrote "Pelswick" so that kids
would see the disabled as being emotionally and intellectually equal (or
better, in some cases) than their peers.  It just needs a little
contextualization, that's all.

-Kyle