C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 20:31:21 EDT
So, there is this new show, on CBS, called Joan Of Arcadia. It's about a 16
yr old girl who god talks to. He first comes to her a year and a half after her
older brother was paralyzed in a car accident. God takes the form of various
people, the cafeteria lady, a construction worker, a news anchor etc. and
gives Joan advice that leades her to do things differently in her life and
essentially god is working through her to help people, including Joan herself.

Anyway I was watching last night and it was pretty amazing. God took the form
of this construction worker and was telling her that she has to value herself
and have pride in her accomplishments.

Joan: Have pride in myself? What happened to being humble and selfless?

God: To have humilaty you have to be good enough at something to be humble
about it.

Joan: You mean do better in school?

God: I can't tell you that. It's free will, one of my best inventions, but
school's a start.

Later Joan's brother is arguing with her, in front of a playground, about how
nobody expects him to be a man since the accident. He leaves and she's
crying. This little 6 yr old girl loses her ball and comes up to Joan and god starts
talking through the girl.

Joan: Please let my brother walk. I'll never ask for anything again. Just let
him walk it's so easy for you.

God: Do you know how many people ask me for things everyday. Big things and
little things all over the world.

Joan: But you can fix him so easily.

God: A long time ago I had to make up these rules. If I healed your brother
it wouldn't be fair. People might see it as picking and choosing or favortism
and I love all my children equally.

Joan: So you don't allow miracles to happen?

God: Miracles happen everyday..within the rules and with the help of my
children.

Joan: Poeple aren't perfect

God: That's not true Joan.. you're perfect. You're created in my image.

I dunno it was just pretty amazing for TV. Especaily since they lay it all
out. Like Joan starts taking advanced classes and meets a boy who's dad works at
the impound lot and helps them get a car with hand controls for her paralyzed
brother.

Anyway for me who has major issues with the god thing...it's a great spin on
the whole faith issue.

So, Friday's at 8pm check it out if you want. Oh yeah the paralyzed brother
is Jason Ritter (John Ritter's son).

CJ aka Christina Jo
"Blood to blood I summon thee. Bring back the power of three!" ~Piper
"Charmed Again"

Believer in the only TRUE power of 3... LOVE, COMPASSION, STRENGTH