C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bobby Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 17:08:49 -0500
>There have been a few threads on the disabled in movies, how strangers stare,
>how to talk to children about disability, etc.   I believe it was Kyle who
>said we are too PC, (not just the disabled- but I think society in general).
>I guess the point I just wanted to make was everyone on the list only "knows"
>me from my posts.  What I talk about are issues related to CP.  BUT, after
>I've sent my stuff to the list, I don't spend the rest of my day "focused" on
>disability.  Perhaps it seems that we are too sensitive or focused about
>disability, because for the most part that is what we talk about, and why
>not?  This is what this whole support group is for.  I imagine most members
>don't yak all day about being disabled.  It's just a part of who you are.  We
>come here to share info and discuss our feelings with others who have been in
>our shoes.  Anyway, I just thought I'd mention that point.  - Denise.

This is waaay to late, but Denise's point is well taken. What I now know
about "CP" issues, I have learned from this list. This is *my* most valued
source of info re: CP issues. If we all weren't "disability focused, I
would enjoy knowing you, but at the same time, I would not know what I now
know about Baclofen, aging, the use , or none use, of prescription
medication, etc. with regard to CP issues. I do not spend most of my days
focused on my disability, even though I am in the *rehab.* business.

Bobby