C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 03:59:44 EST
Chester my friend, I was confirming your comment, not disagreeing with it.
We are a democracy within a republic.  You and I just phrased it a little
differently.  I assumed we were subscribing to the same definition.

Ken, I wholeheartedly -- and sadly -- must agree with your statement.  I am
often appalled by the general lack of understanding of the way the US
government is supposed to function.  I also have heartburn with the content
of high school history books, as I recently mentioned.  There is more
emphasis on what I consider to be trivial matters and mundane facts, than on
information that gives the student a working knowledge of how we came to be
what we are now -- the intent of the founding fathers.  For example, Thomas
Paine's "Common Sense," seems like a good candidate for "must reading," with
meaningful follow-up dialogue in the classroom.  Each of us has a position of
extreme relevance in the functioning of our system of government, but it does
not appear to me that this is instilled in our nation's youth.  They are a
precious part of our population, and I don't believe that their
responsibilities and rights are properly nurtured.

Permit me, if you will, to segue into comments about educators:

Speaking of a precious part of our population, it does not appear either that
our educators are properly regarded.  They leave perhaps the most treasured
legacy. When Bobby retires, his legacy will be that permanent mark on each of
his students -- that unique mark that only Bobby can have left.  He should be
treated like the gold that he is.

Educators should be treated with utmost respect by students, parents, and the
community at large.  Generally speaking, we have failed woefully in our duty
to give them everything they need to carry out their nearly sacred task, and
to properly reward them for their skills, knowledge, and abilities.

Bad on us.

In a message dated 11/27/2000 7:21:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> they have not tought a good civics lesson in years. that is part of the
>  problem.

Betty
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
"I will either find a way or make one."