C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 12:34:10 -0400
Roger that, Ken.  What's amazing is the epidemic of obesity is also part
of what's driving the handicapped parking placard fire-sale.  The number
of back and joint issues directly related to weight is staggering, yet
mild daily walking would take care of these issues on so many levels.
To be honest, I think if you're fairly ambulatory (like me) it's really
crass to use a designated spot if there's plenty of parking available 50
feet further down the row.  Heck, if you can walk up and down the rows
at Wal Mart for an hour, what difference is another 25 steps going to
make.

I get really steamed too when I see folks park cars in spots that are
meant specifically for vans with lifts.  It got so bad in our parking
garage here that they started to "reserve" spots for specific
individuals that had lift-equipped vans.