C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 08:30:13 -0800
This is slightly different but it always bugged me. When I was a
child we were part of a genetics research study on Alports syndrome.
I was always told we were a "special" family because of this. It was
very scary. Every year our urine was tested and we were never
counseled about the results. The women are carriers of this x linked
disease and the men who inherit it die in their early adulthood from
kidney failure.  It's not visible like CP but I always thought the
adults were lying to me and I was too young to figure it out but
would be able to when I was bigger.
Luckily it does not appear I am a carrier. I have an article on the
web about this called Fatal Inheritance: Mormon Eugenics.