C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carla MacInnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:09:49 -0300
Hi Rayna,

  Don't laugh, but take a lesson from our forebearers. Wear a knit woolen
cap on your head while sleeping; it helps keep body heat in. Also, you
might try thermal tights. I use them and have no difficulty with cold at
all. There's a company in the US with distributors in the UK - Damart is
the name.

  A lambswool mattress pad may also be of some help. You can get the ones
that are heated, with dual controls, depending on the size of your bed.
With my adjustable bed with massage, I was advised not to use the form
fitting heated mattress covers nor electric blankets that one covers with
as the bending feature of the mattress may break a wire in the blanket or
pad creating a potential fire hazard. I'm looking into the heated mattress
cover that is not form fitting for next winter when I'll be a year older
and more crotchety than I am already :) There's one company that sells
adjustable beds with heat, but I was told by an insurance agent that
they're not recommend as they can nullify a household  insurance policy.

  Taking niacin before bed if you have circulatory problems, starting at
low doses, will also help with the cold factor of winter :)

  Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Carla
http://www.brunnet.net/terrier