C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
BrightIs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 19:51:56 -0500
I hope no one takes this wrong, but... It seems allot of you are very angry
with society because of your disability.  What about those of us that have
multiple disabilities that are not easily seen ?  I mean I have been
disabled since birth with my eyesight due to a genetic adnomality that
skipped generations but hit me.  I was very tiny as well as a child growing
up, only weighing 35 pounds in kindergarten and standing no taller than a
three year old.  I always looked "different" but no one felt sympathy for me
instead they all choose to make fun of me.  When I was introduced to
contacts in Jr. high, things started to change for me, I no longer had to
wear "bottle cap" glasses any more.
But my eyesight will never get better, in fact I look forward to becoming
legally blind in time.
One of my other disabilities is TMJ.  Mine is so severe that it has created
a severe speech impediment.  People always think I come from Sweden or
something, I get very embarrassed when they ask me where I come from, and
then I have to tell them whats really up.
My other aliments that are getting worse as I age is Bursitis,
tendonitis,chronic migraines, sprained neck, Sjogrens Syndrome, and severe
arthritis in my hips along with hyperglycemia and bad vanes in my legs.
I guess I too have grown to live with these conditions, although it
sometimes henders my husbands and I personal relationship at times when I am
in so much pain I can't give him what he needs, If you know what I mean.
So maybe instead of being mad at people, maybe you should stop and wonder
how many of these"normal" people are really disabled themselves.
Sorry for the length, just putting in my two cents worth.
Deborah mom of 4
-