C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Magenta Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 21:23:14 EST
        hi everybody,

Recently I decided to take action about the situation at the corner
intersection where I live. The  curb ramp was all broken and my wheelchair was
always getting stuck in the holes. The traffic WALK signal wasn't long enough,
and people in cars would not yield to me.

i found out what department to write to,  and sent them Email, about the
above, plus comments on other curb ramps in my neighborhood.  I received email
back in about ten days, saying whoever replied that my letter had been
forwarded to the appropriate person and that by next week somebody would be
out to actually look at the curb ramp, and that action would be taken within
two weeks after that.

Well, sure enough, they came to see the ramp, and cleaned up what could be
done quickly, and then one week later they came with drillers and concrete and
made a beautiful new ramp, and then put up 4 huge YIELD TO PEDESTRIAN signs at
this intersection, and the next day I got an email saying that the signal
would be extended five seconds more in about a week.

So I am very pleased. The city of Oakland is really serious about cleaning up
the streets.

Tamar Raine