C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2008 11:50:03 -0600
I too, never think of my disabilities as G_d screwing up; although shortly
after my stroke (on top of CP), "friends" of my mom told her that if my/her
faith were strong enough, I'd be completely healed.  This seems to be
another example of a way to "blame the victim," or at least say it's somehow
a pwd's fault that they are disabled.  My feeling is that Sh*t happens, and
we learn how to deal with it, or not.

I also don't see an accessible parking space (for example) as a privilege,
but as a way for a business to assure that they'll get my business.  It's
too bad that enough businesses didn't see the economic advantages to
implementing the provisions of the ADA voluntarily, as pwd's (and elders)
are potentially the largest segment of the economy.  If businesses want our
money and talent, it's incumbent upon them to ensure we can get in the door,
and get around inside, as customers or employees.

I'd also be interested to hear about the "special privileges" your
disability has entitled you to.