C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2007 17:37:31 +0000
On Sunday 25 March 2007 16:41, ken barber wrote:
> although i do think no tax at all is better.
>
> why should distributing wealth be one of the purposes
> of taxes?
> i agree that it is, but why should it be?

Hi Ken,

Is it not a duty (as a member of the human race) to consider "others" as well
as ourselves? (I know you will agree). ;-)

The fact I have a comfortable life has very little to do with whatever meagre
talents I may have been born with, and an awful lot to do with
the "circumstances" of my life, i.e. my upbringing, education, family wealth
& influence ("class" as this is the UK!!), health, and serendipitous
opportunities. All things over which I had very little control.

Just as it would be false for me to claim much credit for my wealth, equally,
someone with a much less comfortable life should not be "blamed" for that
fact.

Given that too great an inequality in society is inevitably destructive,
leading either to social unrest (crime, revolution, war), or loss of freedoms
(as the State attempts to quell social unrest), a healthy society should
ensure the gap between rich and poor is kept at an equitable balance. Direct
taxation of wealth and high public spending on education, health, and
welfare, is the most efficient way to redistribute this wealth.

Cheers

Deri